Crystal Collection Reindeer
Please describe yourself and what you do outside of the reindeer industry.
I am a former school teacher and coach of 34 years. I have also raised, trained, and shown Arabian horses for 30+ years. I retired 16 years ago and from that time and now raise reindeer and make knives.
Please describe your reindeer operation. (How long have you been raising reindeer? Where is your farm located? What are your primary markets? Etc.)
My wife, Yvonne, and our partner, Bev Herda and I have been raising reindeer for 27 years. We are located in Lake Crystal, MN. We have been ROBA members for 24 years. We usually breed 25-35 cows per year. We sell baby reindeer throughout the United States. We also do reindeer displays and leases mainly in November and December in 5-8 different states.
Describe any roles you have served on for your state and/or national association. (Committee member, officer, etc.)
- Board of Directors ROBA – Vice President
- Cervid Advisory committee with MN State Vet
- North American Deer Farmers Association member
- USDA Animal Health Association cervid committee
- USDA captive wildlife committee member
- USDA TB committee member
- USDA Brucellosis committee member
- USDA legislative and regulation committee member